Sunday, April 18, 2010

How do you stay motivated?

Such a loaded question.

When I'm motivated, it's based on many things: how I look in the mirror, how I feel, how tight those new jeans are, how bloated my feet are, how tired I feel, how energetic I feel. There are a dozen factors and some come and go.

When I'm not feeling motivated, it helps to get feedback from Danny or Donnie. Jordan and all his talk of stretching does nothing for me, honestly. But let Danny tell me about drinking enough water or Donnie tell me to stop making excuses and do what needs to be done and I'm ALLLLL over it! I can't explain it.

I fight remnants of depression (which I've written about in earlier blogs) and getting out of the house sometimes feels overwhelming, but once I'm working out, I've had very few days when I just couldn't finish my workout. Those days usually fall on the first day after a couple days off, so naturally, it's tougher to do my regular workout on those days. My muscles are a little stiffer, my lungs a little weaker. A day or two in the gym and that goes away.

For me, my workout is guaranteed MEL time. My kids don't go with me and the hubby hasn't used his gym card since we signed up six months ago. Even when @ProjectDance goes with me, we both have our iPods on and we're just in the same room together. It's her time, too. With both of us having kids & husbands & busy lives outside of ourselves, that's sometimes the ONLY time we have that's fully ours. When you look at it as a reward, it feels like less work. Don't get me wrong...it is work, but it doesn't always feel like it.

You're the only one who can determine what motivates you. You are the maestro of your workout - find out what works for you and then work it. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment